We need your help!
In 2007, the Quakers Hill Pirates were the Australian Baseball Federation Club of the Year. That is, the best baseball club in Australia!! For anyone that was involved at the club during that time, it was a massive buzz of excitement, togetherness, support, volunteerism (people wanted to be involved) to make it a club with opportunities for kids and adults to develop in the sport and have some fun times with team mates and friends. We called it the Pirates Spirit.
Over the past number of years the Quakers Hill Pirates have had some challenges... implementing new formats of the game (Little League), introduction and managing new ways to communicate (social media), changes in the sport's administration both at a state level and a club level, increased needs for policy implementation and corporate governance. Some of these challenges have eaten away at the club's culture of togetherness, it's forward planning, it's harnessing of volunteers, its succession planning.... all the things that we prided ourselves on when we were the ABF Club of the Year back in 2007.
It's time to bring that back!
To start this process, the current Executive Committee have enlisted the help of a number of the Club's Life Members... many of these people were at the core of our Club's administration back in 2007 and we are looking to lean on their expertise to help us bring the true Pirates Spirit back to our Club.
This is an open invitation to Pirates members to get involved... all too often we can be quick to criticise and complain about the state of things, but its only by volunteering to help that we can make it better. It starts at our next club meeting on Monday 12 December 7pm at Blacktown RSL. A number of our Life Members will be attending as well as current committee members and I am calling on ALL Pirates members who want to bring back the spirit back to come along.
We will be addressing a number of things over the next few months as we head to the next Club AGM in April 2017:
- Reviewing all of our policies and processes for consistency, transparency and ease of implementation
- Documenting all of the key club processes, procedures and knowledge into a "Committee manual" for new volunteers to reference
- Implementation of a new mandatory requirement from Baseball NSW for the introduction of a Member Protection and Information Officer (MPIO) and a complete Member Protection Policy
- Addressing some forward planning in terms of club resources/equipment, council and government support, fundraising sources etc to ensure the long term viability of the Club
- Looking at volunteer recruitment and succession planning for new Executive and Committee members for the 2017/18 season and beyond
As you can see, a number of key things to ensure our club can be around for the next 25 years and beyond. We are looking to form small working groups who can help us address these key points above.
Pirates, we need your help... come along to the meeting next Monday 12 December 7pm at Blacktown RSL.
Acting Club President
(on behalf of the Executive Committee)